Before I bought my first digital camera (truly a watershed moment), I spent many years in the classroom, beginning as a kindergarten teacher. Although I developed a genuine and lasting respect for kindergarten teachers, I quickly learned that kindergartners were too young, always underfoot, and definitely not for me.
Hustling out of kindergarten, I skipped over first and second grade and eventually landed happily in fifth grade, where, for 26 years, I taught mostly reading and writing with some science, math, and social studies thrown in. Finally I closed out my career in seventh and eighth grade, teaching writing, just writing, for seven years. I loved it and wished it hadn’t taken so long to find my true home.
I’ve heard it said that “Growing old isn’t for sissies; however, I’m here to tell you that teaching seventh and eighth graders isn’t for sissies either. Every day my students amused me, frustrated me, entertained me, occasionally infuriated me (We’re being honest here), and sometimes amazed me, by demonstrating that, despite their raging hormones, they were (usually) listening, learning, and capable of producing some fantastic writing.
After 33 years in the classroom, I decided it was time to move on, so I retired, bought a digital camera, and headed outdoors. Now I am blessed to be able to spend hours in my favorite outdoor locations, camera in hand, enjoying God’s wonderful creation. My accumulated collection of 50,000 pictures, many of them captured along the trails in local parks, led to the creation of my blog Seen Along the Trail , where many (although not all) of the pictures were captured somewhere along the trail.
A touch of trivia
- I have been married to my husband Bob for 54 years.
- Our family includes three daughters, three sons-in-law, and seven (adult) grandchildren.
- I love dogs, so I can’t forget to mention our dog Gulliver, a much loved senior springer spaniel.
- I grew up in the tiny town of Delta (population 800) in southeastern Pennsylvania.
- Our children grew up where we currently live in northeastern Ohio, within walking distance of Lake Erie.
- You can view my photo galleries on SmugMug and the daily picture I have posted almost every day for seven years on Blipfoto.
- Oh, and the merry-go-round is my favorite amusement park ride…hence the above profile picture, snapped at the Merry-Go-Round Museum in Sandusky, Ohio.
That’s probably more than you need to know, so I will stop here and close by inviting you to grab your camera and join me for a photowalk along the trail.
Carolyn aka Skip